To be honest, the best way to motivate people to “vote” on our interactive Ranker.com lists of “Cool Names for Girls” and “Cool Names for Boys” is to publish the latest results. With more than 180 people viewing both lists and 18 people voting for their favorite cool names on both lists, here are the major findings:
1. Of the top-ten “Cool Names for Girls,” only one name (Lola) came from either The Art of Naming or Nameberry. All the other top-ten names came from my brainstorming sessions. Cool names moving up the list are marked with an asterisk: Annika, Sloane, Danica, Tori and Elena.
2. Of the top-ten “Cool Names for Boys,” ten of the names came from The Art of Naming’s list of cool boys names and three of the names were also on Nameberry’s list of cool boys names. One of the names came from my brainstorming sessions. (Note that Hudson and Wyatt are tied for tenth position on the list, so there are actually eleven boys’names on the list). Names moving up on the list are marked with an asterisk: Jett, Taj, Cruz, Matteo, Dash and Rio.
Here are the top-ten cool names for girls and boys from Ranker.com. (Notice that the source for each name is indicated in parentheses, after the name.)
Top Ten Cool Girls’ Names
1. Annika* (Bruce Lansky)
2. Amelia (Bruce Lansky)
3. Lola (The Art of Naming, Nameberry)
4. Cleo (Bruce Lansky)
5. Catalina (Bruce Lansky)
6. Sloane* (Bruce Lansky)
7. Danica* (Bruce Lansky)
8. Tori* (Bruce Lansky)
9. Maya (Bruce Lansky)
10. Elena* (Bruce Lansky)
Top-Ten Cool Boys’ Names
1. Chase (The Art of Naming)
2. Hunter (The Art of Naming)
3. Finn (The Art of Naming, Nameberry)
4. Jett* (The Art of Naming)
5. Taj* (The Art of Naming)
6. Cruz* (The Art of Naming, Nameberry)
7. Matteo* (The Art of Naming, Nameberry)
8. Dash* (The Art of Naming)
9. Rio* (Bruce Lansky)
10. Wyatt (The Art of Naming)
10. Hudson (The Art of Naming)
You may recall that I was motivated to research “cool names” because many of the names listed by The Art of Naming and Nameberry as “cool,” didn’t seem cool to me. I figured that time might affect the rankings. Names thought to be cool only one year ago might not be cool now.
Apparently, I have a better “feel” for cool girls names than cool boys names. But the purpose of this research is not to prove my infallibility; it’s to find out what the coolest names for girls and boys are right now.
I’m planning to keep my list of cool names up on Ranker so I can update you as voting significantly changes the top-ten rankings. If everyone who reads this article uses the links I’ve provided to vote on Ranker, we’ll all know a lot more than we do now. And, don’t forget, Ranker enables all voters to add names as well as vote. So, if you can think of a cool name that’s not on the list, please add it when you’re voting.
P.S. I almost forgot: there are 10 new boys names to check out on the “Cool Names for Boys” list (from a variety of sources). Be the first to vote for (or against) them.