Maressa Brown wrote a post in The Stir listing 25 gemstones that are sometimes used as names for people. I looked at the list of gemstones and most of them struck me as being terribly old fashioned or clunky and rarely used. For good reason. As it turned out, 14 of the names did not have a top 1000 popularity ranking. And only 7 of the names were ranked among the top 500 boys’ or girls’ names.
In my article about place names I pointed out that most place names, like Afghanistan and Timbuktu, don’t sound much like names for people. The same holds true for gemstone names like Citrine and Onyx. What makes place names or gemstone names sound like names you could pick for a baby is when lots of people use them as names for children–place names like Dakota or Austin; and gemstone names like Ruby or Jade.
I hope that providing you with popularity rankings (when available) will help you understand why so many of the names seem so out of date. Most of them don’t sound like they’d work well for your children in the year 2014.
I’ve provided you with a link to Brown’s article, above. I hope you’re not overly impressed to read which celebs have used some of these names. Go with your gut. If they seem old-fashioned or clunky to you, they probably are. (Names that are not listed among the 1,000 most popular baby names in 2013 by the Social Security Administration are identified, below, as “unranked.”)
1. Amethyst (unranked) a rarely used name
2. Ruby (#93) a top-100 name with a rising trend
3. Pearl (#677) an old-fashioned name with a rising trend
4. Mica (unranked) a rarely used name that sounds like a variation of Micah
5. Opal (unranked) an old-fashioned name)
6. Coral (unranked) a rarely used name
7. Onyx (unranked) a rarely used name
8. Amber (#288) an old fashioned name with a declining trend
9. Emerald (#1000) a little-used name with a declining trend
10. Diamond (#712) a little-used name with a long-term declining trend; the recent trend is level
11. Bijou (unranked) a rarely used name
12. Beryl (unranked) an old-fashioned name
13. Jasper #248 a name with a rising trend
14. Jade (/#106) a name with a level trend
15. Esme (929) a little-used name with a level trend
16. Esmerelda (unranked) a rarely used name
17. Garnet (unranked) a rarely used name
18. Crystal (#464) a “new age” name with a declining trend
19. Agate (unranked) a rarely used name
20. Jett (#324) a contemporary name with a rising trend
21. Goldie (unranked) a rarely used name
22. Citrine (unranked) a rarely used name
23. Topaz (unranked) a rarely used name
24. Silver (unranked) a rarely used name
25. Gemma (#368) a name with rising trend
Seven gemstone names you might want to consider:
Ruby, Jade, Jasper, Jett, Gemma, Amber and (perhaps) Crystal, if you don’t mind the “new age” vibe.